saturday morning blues
It's early Saturday morning...and I'm up because I have a meeting for Relay for Life. I didn't get to swim last night because my community pool closes at 7 pm on Fridays for private parties...usually you can't swim until 7 b/c of highschool swim team practice. I'm not swimming this morning b/c of the meeting. I woke up early b/c I THOUGHT my meeting was at 9 am (and it's 1/2 hour away) but it's actually not till 10 am. AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHH! I can't go back to bed b/c I'll wake up Dave, I can't go to the guest room b/c my sister is visiting and my niece has the couch...so it's the computer room for me!
Eileen and Georgia and Ophelia are here for the weekend b/c Eileen wanted to get away for her birthday. So last night we made homemade pizzas and watched t.v. I've got the meeting until 3:30 and then we might watch a movie or play a game...Thai Food and Peanut Butter Pie is on the menu for the evening, at Eileen's request. But I won't get any swimming or running in today most likely...this has not been the most successful week of training. I realize it's only week 1...but I don't want to get in the habit of rearranging training time for other stuff.
Okay, okay...Relay for Life is REALLY important to me. I've been participating since 2004, helping to raise money for the American Cancer Society...and this is my second year on the committee. I actually just found out our honorary chair and guestspeaker from last years relay died this week. His name was Robin Brewer and he was only 40 years old. It's sad...he was an amazing guy who started cycling for the cause after he lost two close friends to cancer and b/c his brother was a prostate cancer survivor. He particiapted in "ride for the roses" which is a Lance Armstrong event. Then Robin was diagnosed with stomach cancer a couple years ago and had his ENTIRE stomach removed. He was still doing the rides, even through his own surgeries, chemos and treatment. Robin even impressed Lance Armstrong b/c he was showing up for these rides when he was at his sickest. He'd only manage 7 or 8 miles but he was out there doing something. At last years Relay in April he had officially been diagnosed cancer free. However, a month ago he wound up back in the hospital because the cancer was back. He decided not to deal with chemo and radiation again. It's all very sad...too many good people losing to this disease. I guess I won't beat myself up for going to this meeting instead of hitting the pool. Someday the fundraising and research is going to make a difference. And I promise to hit the pool next week!! Really, I do! xo
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home