Almost there
Sorry the blogs are so few and far between (or maybe that's a good thing) but there's so much else going on I don't always have time to document my "journey"!
We are officially three weeks (minus one day) out from the big swim. Registration fee has been paid, lodging has been secured, cheering section has been recruited, marina is still being worked on (sorry Dad...I've got on one Stock Island which is an 8 minute drive but I'm trying to get on Key West and those *@* won't call me back), training is ongoing!
Chris (my coach) has been doing a fabulous job of keeping my distance up and my workouts long in the evenings. Typically I'm logging 11-12 miles a week. It may not sound like much (considering I have to swim 12.5 in one day) but seen as these workouts happen after working all day...I think I'm doing pretty darn good.
Last Saturday I swam 4.7 miles and this Saturday I swam 6.6 miles. It took me around 3.5 hours to do the six plus miles...but I don't have an exact time because my stopwatch got messed up (it fell off while I was swimming and I had to throw it on the pool deck).
"How did the swim feel?" you ask....well, here's my answer (and a few more):
#1 I was bored out of my mind (lap swimming can be pretty boring) and you are forced to do nothing but count laps/yardage otherwise after swimming 11,500 yards or 230 laps you absolutely lose count!! I think the ocean will be better in that I don't have to count...so I can sing to myself or talk to myself or do whatever it is you do when you have 8 hours to do nothing but think!
#2 I'm going to have to find an endurance sun screen...I'm surprisingly "not that burnt" but I will be after 8 hours in the water. My "very waterproof, very sweat proof sports sunscreen" probably stayed on for about an hour...but I honestly don't think there's anything that will stay on all day!
#3 My left shoulder started killing me after about 8000 yards. (not my right...just my left). I'm gonna have to go get a massage in the next week or so.
#4 Technically both my arms/wrists/hands hurt...a lot. The carpal tunnel does not like swimming!!
#5 As tired as I was...if I'd had food/fuel with me I could have gone longer. I ate a small breakfast that day and brought a couple vitamin waters (like Gatorade but much less sugar) and that's it. So I was totally out of energy by the end...but I think if I'd refueled I'd been better!
#6 I went home and helped Dave finish up some yard work and vacuumed the house...so I guess I wasn't totally exhausted!
#7 I haven't lost a freakin' pound since this whole training thing started...not even one. Man that frosts my a**!
#8 I am absolutely thrilled/overwhelmed at the number of family and friends that are coming down to cheer me on (and take on Duval street!) I promise not to let any of you down...you may have to wait awhile for that call that "she's on the last stretch" but I WILL finish.
#9 I am just as touched by the number of friends and family that can't make the trip but have sent encouraging words along the way...seriously, I know ya'll have plenty of other things to do than read my blogs, ask me about my training and actually try to feign interest when I explain the difference between laps and lengths, pool swimming vs. ocean swimming, endurance drinks and sunscreen...but ya'll keep coming back for more and I really, really appreciate it!
#10 I am soooooo ready for this swim to happen and for it to be the "day after" and to be able to say "I did it" (*cue inspirational music here.) Honestly, the waiting is starting to get to me.
Well...thanks again for reading yet another lengthy blog and thanks for being part of my fabulous support team!
Love, dianne
3 Comments:
You go girl!! That is so awesome-and remember muscle weighs more than fat-or that might just tell you that to make you feel better!! Hang in there-Jane
YAy Dianne!!!! My thoughts will be with you in the Keys!! I'll be swimming with you in spirit. Sorry the MaryKay sunscreen sucks... :-)
xoxo-Beth
You are my hero! I have trouble thinking about how far 6 miles actually is, let alone actually consider swimming it!
You always have been a better man than me.
Heather
Post a Comment
<< Home